Wednesday, August 16, 2006

Random Linky Love

- The Kung-Fu Monkey kills it, per usual:
No false bravado and it's not that I don't take terrorism seriously. I do, which I why I voted for the guy who believed in securing our ports and fighting terrorism with criminal investigation methods -- which is, if we may remind everybody, how this particular plot was busted.

I am just not going to wet my pants every time some guys get arrested in a terror plot. I will do my best to stay informed. I will support the necessary law enforcement agencies. I will take whatever reasonable precautions seem, um, reasonable. But I will not be terrorized. I assume that the terror-ists would like me to be terror-ized, as that is what is says on their nametag, rather than, say, wanting me to surrender to ennui or negative body image, and they're just coming the long way around.
(See also Will, George)

- Overheard in Ezra's comments:
This myth of "centrism" is what has kept the Democratic party back for the last 12 years. Bill Clinton didn't win because he was a centrist; he won because he was Bill effin' Clinton.
Word. Based on a couple of books I'm reading, I'll have more on this in a few weeks, but with the constant historical analogizing going on (is it 1939 or 1968 or 1972 or 1994 in reverse? Are we fighting Vietnam or WWII all over again?) it seems we've forgotten the "contrast" in compare and contrast. All these analogies are used because there are some initial superficial similarities - but the dramatic differences are completely glossed over. I mean, if this is 1968, were are the hippies, and with them, my free love?

- Michael Totten. Damn. (Note to self, must read him more regularly. My news gets filtered so many times through so many different prisms, probably better to get a bit more raw data, if you will.)

- George Allen is a bad man. Truly.

- And finally Josh Marshall + a reader. I seem to link to this kind of thing once a month, but here it is anyway...

No comments: