Monday, April 17, 2006

BSA (Blogger Service Announcement)

Ahistoricality points to a handy list for improving logical argumentation skills, or at the very least, a cheat sheet to recognizing Logic Fouls on the parts of others:
I ask that the entire Blogosphere be required to at least skim the following links:

Propaganda Critic

Logical Fallacies and the Art of Debate

And, the most inclusive

A Handbook of Rhetorical Devices
Indeed, and I second.

Relatedly, Papa Pooh may remember the day I returned from summer camp, having taken a class in 'logic'. At dinner that night, I shot him down with "that's an ad hominem fallacy!" At the time, he did not regard the money as particularly well spent, and perhaps still does not.

1 comment:

slickdpdx said...

I'm thinking of insulting myself at the beginning of my next post on Hot Air and just getting the ad hominem out of the way.

The anecdote about your pops rocked. Lots of good stuff in a brief bit. "Shot him down" indeed!