Sunday, February 12, 2006

Dwyane. Wade.

Generally, I prefer watching college over pro hoops during the regular season. Yes the players are better in the League, but there's something of a Kabuki aspect to most NBA regular season games - everyone knows exactly what the other team is going to do on offense, so there's a lot of repition. Suns games are the continuous and obvious exceptions (BTW, often times Boris Diaw make you say "Joe who?")

Of course, I still have the game on in the background while I do important things, like working on my stand-up routine in the comments at Balloon Juice, or trying to mock Sebby without using some derivation of 'skinny.' (It's harder than you think when considering a guy who goes 6-5 and 103 pounds.

So, it's a good thing I have the DVR working so I can go back and watch in full things like Dwyane Wade's astounding 4th quarter with my full attention. You can have your Carmelo, you can have your Gigli Arenas. I'll take D-Wade and have no second thoughts. By my unofficial count, in the last 4:30 of the game, he outscored the Pistons 17-8 with the following stat line: 7-7 FG, 3-3 FT, 2 Rbs (big boards in traffic amongst the trees). With All-NBA defenders Billups and Prince guarding him. And the Pistons not playing badly on offense themselves (Chauncey Billups in particular.)

I'd like to add the Hubie Brown is the best announcer in all of sports, and it's not really close. Not only does he know everything there is to know about basketball, he communicates that knowledge clearly and well, and still enjoys the game enough to get all excited when great players make great plays. Adds tremendously to the experience.

No comments: