Thursday, February 23, 2006

Gripe: If It Bleeds (Even Virtually) It Leads

The lede for one of the local news programs was something along the lines of "Technological advancement has opened up many new avenues. But it has also exposed your children to predators. Watch [Blank]News tonight to learn how to protect your children." Snarkily, I would say not to worry, because they can't get you through the computer screen. Yet. (Muahahahahaha).

Now, I'm 28 (almost more) years old, and for as long as I can remember, local and often national news has been hyped with these boogeyman stories. I forget, is salmon good or bad for me this week, as I have to plan my lunch tommorow, and I care about the children.

My point is, with all these 'predators' and 'killers', how have we survived this long? Or do they sponsor aerial predator hunts to cut down the numbers that I'm just not hearing about? I know someone who might be interested in participating.




You had to feel that one coming...

1 comment:

Ahistoricality said...

That story's been making the rounds; our local news (print and TV) ran with it over the last two weeks or so. It's easy stuff; a couple of pictures of kids at computers, some interviews with local child advocacy folks, a screen shot of a sex offender database....

I shoulda been a journalist.