Friday, November 18, 2005

Sony Retreats, Leaving Carnage (i.e. My iPod) Behind

Via Instapundit, Sony has graciously decided to recall over 2 million hacker time-bombsCD's containing the rootkit-installing DRM 'ineptware'. Sadly too late for me. And too late for many potential Sony customers. (When the uber-reasonable Tim Burke calls you out...)

I may have overstated the direct effect of that crap on my laptop in earlier posts, in that it wasn't the rootkit itself which broke various pieces of my box, but rather my attempts to fix it. So here is the state of things: CIV IV - barely works because of who knows why. Its great when it works, but I have to play the one 'starter' game over and over because the program crashes if I try to start a 'new' world from scratch. My iPod - functioning, but all my playlists got erased, plus I had to switch to RealPlayer to manage synching it since my iTunes-iPod interface seems irretrievably FUBAR. Oh and all the files that supposedly went on to the iPod from RealPlayer? Not so much...I'm sensing a weekend in TechnoFear hell

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

All I have to say in the way of sound advice is to document your damages to the point of obsesiveness and then sue them for all you can get. I believe several class actions have fired up across the country. Several attornies general are also eyeing Sony the way a tiger eyes an injured gazel. Nail the bastards!

Anonymous said...

All I have to say in the way of sound advice is to document your damages to the point of obsessiveness and then sue them for all you can get. I believe several class actions have fired up across the country. Several attornys general are also eying Sony the way a tiger eyes an injured zebra. Nail the bastards!