Friday, February 03, 2006

Friday Random Ten

Taking the plunge and plumbing the entire 40gigs of musical goodness (and probably more than a little badness. I may or may not have any Milli Vanilli on there, I can neither confirm nor deny that rumor.)

  1. "My Empty Arms" - Jim & Jesse and the Virginia Boys. A little bluegrass never hurt anybody. Except for Ned Beattie. 6/10


  2. "My Baby Don't Love Me" - John Lee Hooker. I cannot get away from the JLH. Not that that's a bad thing. 7/10


  3. "Magical Myster Tour" - The Beatles. Call me a blasphemer, but I vastly prefer early Beatles to later. Sorry. 5/10


  4. "Staple It Together" - Jack Johnson. Brushfire Fairytales is still his best album, but this one is fine. This track seems to have a good deal of Carlos Santana influence. 6/10


  5. "His Name is Mutty Ranks" - A Tribe Called Quest. I miss these guys, though this song is largely forgettable battle rap. 5/10


  6. "Homeless" - Paul Simon w/ LadySmith Black Mambazo. Graceland has been called a perfect album by some. This song certainly is. 10/10.


  7. "Got My Mojo Working" - Muddy Waters. Studio version from the Chess Box. "Got my mojo working but it just don't work on you", story of my life...9/10.


  8. "When You Got a Good Friend" - Peter Green. Imagine Tom Waits singing Robert Johnson in a slightly jazzy style, toss in a bit of harmonica and boogie-woogie piano, and presto. 7/10.


  9. "Boot Hill" - Stevie Ray Vaughan. Sorry, too busy listening and making the Blues face to write anything. 8/10.


  10. "Rollin' & Scratchin'" - Daft Punk. Now that's a slightly jarring transistion. I still like these guys. Good workout music if nothing else. 6/10.

That's all. As Jerry Springer would say, take care of yourselves, and each other.

No comments: