Thursday, December 29, 2005

Historical Revision of the Day: Prohibition, A Smashing Success

Yes, you read the correctly, prohibition worked. No, really, stop that laughing.

I mean, now that I know that Sacco & Vanzetti did it, I'll believe anything.

Actually, I can make the case that prohibition was a net positive. Absent prohibition, the mob would have had a hard time gaining a real foothold in the country. Without them, we don't have Charlie Lucchiano (no, not Larry Lucchino, though he should sleep with the fishes...) or Meyer Lansky. One of their guys was Benjamin Siegel (a.k.a. "Bugsy"). Bugsy built the Flamingo in the desert. Ergo, prohibition created Vegas. For that, all I can say is "Thank You, Women's Christian Temperance Union!"


=



(H/T: Radley)

1 comment:

Frankie said...

When I lived in NYC during college, I used to go swing dancing at Lansky's Lounge. It was like stepping into a time warp...everyone was decked out in 20's, 30's, and 40's gear.

It's sad to read that it's gone mainstream since the late 90's :-(

http://www.worldsbestbars.com/city/new-york/lansky-lounge-new-york.htm