Friday seems to be music day in my little corner of the Blogosphere. We have Friday Funk Lyrics and ruminations on Mozart. But the idea I'm going to blatantly copy comes from LL&PN with the Friday Random Ten. Setting my Ipod a shuffling, I get:
- "Yakety Yak" - The Coasters. For some reason this song always makes me think of Paul Brown. Perhaps because I watched too much "NFL Films" as a child. (Who am I kidding with the "as a child" bit? 6/10.
- "Bittersweet" - Big Head Todd and the Monsters. Functional, fungible Blues Rock 5/10.
- "Sister Christian" - Night Ranger. Power ballads r00l. And this is one of the best ever, and that was before the Boogie Nights scene. 10/10.
- "Twice as Hard" - Black Crows. Before the Robinson brothers decided they couldn't stand each other, this was my favorite band. Before I knew what "blues" was, I knew I liked blues-rock. 10/10.
- "Deep Cover" - Dr. Dre introducing Snoop Dogg. Huge beat, (though House of Pain blatantly stole it for "Who's the Man?") But this song is really all about Snoop's into: "Creep with me as I crawl through the hood/ maniac, lunatic, call me Snoop Eastwood" in that patented drawl. 8/10.
- "Always on the Run" - Lenny Kravitz. I go back and forth on dear Leonard, but this is not his best. 3/10.
- "Rapture" - Blondie. So far as I know, Debby Harry is still the best whitegirl rapper. 5/10.
- "Freedom" - Rage Against the Machine. Just thinking about Tom Morello gets me bobbing my head a little bit. 7/10.
- "Simmer Down" - Mighty Mighty Bosstones. If I were to make a mix of songs to listen to when I'm pissed off about something, and need to, well, simmer down, this is the finale. 7/10.
- "Stiff Upper Lip" - AC/DC. And not just any version, the version I, er, found online back in the day when such things may or may not have happened. The recording is from the song's premiere on Australian radio station, so I've got an Oz DJ introducing it with "I feel like I should be standing up and saluting. For the First! Time! Ever on this planet, they're back..." Cue Angus. 8/10.
Wow, that's pretty mainstream. Oh. Because I set it on shuffle of just my 'favorites' playlist. Maybe I'll try it again later using all 40gb of digital music goodness.